Cairngorms RDA is a local charity that was approved as a member group of National RDA in September 2012 at Newtonmore to allow local adults and children with disabilities or learning difficulties to have access to horses and ponies as a means of therapy, achievment and enjoyment. The group moved at the start of 2016 to Kingussie and will resume activities again for clients in time Easter 2016.
The national RDA is proud to have celebrated over 40 years of delivering opportunities for people with disabilities and now has almost 500 Member Groups across the UK. Cairngorms RDA had a visit from HRH Princess Anne in September 2012 which was a great success.
Although RDA was set up to work mainly with people with physical disabilities, RDA Groups now work across the spectrum of disabilities, age range, social status and urban and rural environments. The focus of our work is to ensure that each individual has the chance to derive a direct therapeutic benefit and the opportunity to achieve their personal goal (whether that be learning a very simple skill or winning a major competition)."
The RDA gives individuals the opportunity to:
- Reach therapeutic goals: improve muscle tone and posture, develop fine and gross motor movement
- Achieve their personal ambitions: sit on a horse for the first time, learn new skills, win a Paralympic medal
- Combat social isolation: build relationships, enjoy events and competition, develop self-confidence
- Develop life skills: improve communication, take responsibility, be a team player
- Experience the outdoors: ride in the countryside, access rural Britain / Scotland
- Connect with animals: bringing positivity and optimism, adding a new element to life
More info at http://www.riding-for-disabled.org.uk/
Current Office Bearers, Trustees and Coaches 2015 / 2016:
Chairperson: Ruaridh Ormiston, Treasurer: To be confirmed (Peter Davidson), Secretary: Liz Edmondson
Trustees: Ruaridh Ormiston, Liz Edmondson, Dawn Cheyne-Miller, Lorraine Duncan, Caroline Bashford, Susanna Di Crosta
Group Coach: Lorraine Duncan,
Assistant Coaches: Yo Robertson, Carrie McNiven, Joanie Morrison
PVG Administrator: Fiona Hawkins